Live with: Carmani on Music


taken by @yungpretentious (IG)


Late one evening whilst probably on Pinterest I left a tab open with music playing in the background from less popular artists on Soundcloud. Sometime later I ended up listening to the lovely young soul Carmani, I'd obviously zoned out when the tracks had changed but her track 'Jump' caught my attention and snapped me back into it. So, after snooping around her Instagram and Soundcloud her profile, I felt obliged to share with her talent. This interview is for the wannabe singer/songwriter's like myself.

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself?
A: My name is Caroline but my "stage name" is  Carmani, and I am a 17 year old singer/ songwriter from South Orange, New Jersey.

Q: How did you get into song writing and making music?
A: I used to learn Amy Winehouse's songs on the piano and sing along to them in like 6th grade. I was told that I was a good piano player before then, so it wasn't that hard at the time. Music was always something I was passionate about, and I always thought I had good taste. I posted a cover on Soundcloud but I talked to a friend and she told me that I should try and write my own music, so I did. I downloaded GarageBand and made the beat for "Growth" that day. I was upset with this guy that day so I wrote out my feelings onto a post it note and sang over it



Q: This ones for kindergarten musicians out there who are trying to figure out how to start up: what tools do you use to help make your music?

A: Youtube, software,  and apps . Go watch videos of people making beats on Youtube, watch tutorials and reviews of a DAW that you want to use until it starts to slightly make sense lol. I recommend starting as soon as possible with any software or app, just to get used to actually creating the music.  I actually really like making beats on my phone as well. I love the iMaschine 2 app and I have used it in at least 3 different songs now. The Garageband app is great for vocals, Steve Lacey swears by it and his music is fucking fire. There are websites and apps that can recommend chord progressions (Fingers for iOS is good).


taken by @idiosyncraticimages (IG)


Q: Jump has been on repeat since I first heard it, it's so beautiful! What's the inspiration behind your work? Especially Jump?

A: Thank you so much! Jump is actually my favorite of the songs I've made. Jump is about a guy that I know who is way out of my league, but we get along very well. Sometimes I wished that we could work things out but it just didn't happen, so I decided to write about it. The inspiration instrumentally though is defiantly from Eryn Allen Kane's "Piano Song", which is one of my favorite songs of all time. Her vocals are insane, and the use of piano and emotions bring out so much sass. The energy is very pure, so thats what I went for.
In general though, I try and choose my surroundings and situations as themes. I combined like 4 different things that happened to me in Jump, and no one really knows about it. Its like a cool secret.

Q: I'm getting a lot of Adele vibes from your tracks babe but how would you describe/define your style in terms of music and genres?

A: Hmm thats a little hard for me to answer. I love soul and R&B and I try to include those elements into my music. I've been told that my music is Neo-Soul but I wouldn't say I classify as that.



Q: How did you arrive at this?

A: As much as I love and appreciate the music, I do not qualify in that category as I am a white girl from Jersey and African and Caribbean music are key elements to Neo-soul (in my opinion).

Q:Who are your favourite artists?

A: I can list names forever but I'll go with Hiatus Kayoite, Noname, Solange, Tyler the Creator, The Internet, Nick Hakim, Stevie Wonder, Frank Ocean, Amy Winehouse, Ravyen Lenae, Chance the Rapper, Phony Ppl, and Kali Uchis

Q: Any tips for those who are just starting out or want to?

A: Your opinions are not the truth. When I posted "Growth" I was ashamed. I thought it was the most amateur thing, and I really hated it. It is now my most popular song, and has been used in Illegal Civ videos with Steve Lacey and Mac Miller. You truly are you worst critic, so try to get an honest outside opinion

Post a Comment